Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight and body composition is the cornerstone to preventing serious health issues.
SPECIALISING IN WEIGHT CONTROL AND WEIGHT LOSS IN SINGAPORE
Successful and permanent weight loss requires the right frame of mind, a working knowledge of the components of food, the willingness to adopt new eating patterns and the ability to challenge old habits. Realistic weight loss targets and the time frames needed to achieve these targets need to be established. Consistency, staying ‘on-track’ and accountability for one’s actions are important factors in losing and sustaining weight loss. There are many positive benefits of weight loss:
– Loss of excess body fat
– Improved energy levels, self-esteem and body image
– Healthier pregnancies and healthier newborns
– Reduction and reversal of insulin resistance and diabetes
– Improvements in blood pressure
– Prevention, reduction and reversal of heart disease
– Reduced inflammation and oxidative stress
– Decreased risk of some cancers
– Improvements in hormone function
– A life free of chronic disease
There is no ‘one size fits all’ solution to permanent and healthy weight loss. By drawing upon a range of scientifically supported strategies, I tailor each plan and identify the most appropriate strategy for each individual.
For some individuals, the ability to gain weight and improve body composition can be a major challenge. Being underweight can have significant health consequences resulting in fragility, poor energy, reduced quality of life and shortened lifespan. Sustainable weight gain provides many health benefits including:
– Increased muscle mass
– Improved strength, balance and coordination
– Reductions in the onset of muscle wastage (sarcopenia) in the over 50’s
– A weight ‘buffer’ to help during periods of compromised health
– Re-instatement of regular hormonal cycles and improvements in bone mineral density, in women
I have found that successful weight gain requires multiple strategies operating at the same time. I focus on food type and volume, meal timing, snacking and supplementation. By applying my knowledge in sports nutrition, I link appropriate strength-based exercise with the nutrition plan to ensure that the weight gains also result in improvements in body composition. As with any weight management plan, consistency, accountability and the willingness to challenge eating patterns, are key to long term success.
Dr Naras Lapsys received his PhD in molecular genetics in Sydney, Australia and worked for 10 years at the world renowned Garvan Institute of Medical Research.
He then undertook additional study, becoming an accredited practising dietician (APD) and board certified in regenerative and anti-aging medicine (ABAAHP). Dr Lapsys has accumulated extensive clinical experience from 14 years of private practice, specialising in weight and chronic disease management.